Sprinkbank 12 Cask Strength (Review)

Springbank 12 Cask Strength (Campbeltown Scotch Single Malt Whisky Review Tasting Notes)

I really love spending my days by the seaside or travelling by ferry or ship as often as I can. Feeling that salty air on my lips and the wind in my hair makes me feel homey and free at the same time. If you are looking for a whisky that transports exactly this feeling, the perfect choice will be this 12-year-old Springbank bottled at cask strength. While I also found fruits like apples and pears in it – reminding me of the goodies my childhood self used to pick from the trees in our garden – the spirit’s most striking quality is a distinct saltiness that gives you the feeling of travelling on the open sea on a stormy day. While 70% of the whisky was matured in Oloroso sherry casks, the other 30% spent their time of maturation in bourbon casks. This wonderful dram definitely gives me itchy feet!

by Aaron


Eye: Liquid sparkling gold.
Nose: First of all there are lots of apples and pears that just fell of the trees in early autumn. This fruit salad is not only seasoned with a full vanilla pod, a dash of cocoa and a good amount of salt, but also garnished with cotton candy. The longer you wait the more tropical the fruits seem to get.
Palate: This is more than just a slight seabreeze, this is a salty storm inside your glass. However, this dram is not one-dimensional at all. You will also discover a lot of vanilla and fudge as well as a full bunch of domestic fruits like apples and pears. Hints of pepper and smoke stay in the background.
Finish: The Springbank 12 CS accompanies you for quite some time with a lot of Salt ‘n’ Pepa. And quite frankly, I am very happy that I am not speaking of the 90s hip hop band here. Instead, I am refering to a spectacular flavour profile that is rounded off by a pleasent fruity sweetness as well as some peat and liquorice.



Type: Single Malt Scotch Whiskey
Region: Scotland (Campbeltown)
Aged: 12 Years
Alc. volume: 54.1%
Bottle size: 0.7 litres
Price range: ~70.00 Euro
More info: http://www.springbankwhisky.com/ (Distillery)

2 comments

    1. It is from a Nothern German whisky and spirit fair called Hanse Spirit. You got the glass on the entrance and were allowed to keep it afterwards. Some other fairs, such as Bottle Market, also use the same glass type.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s